Now, I knew nothing about the Volksfest, save what little I saw of it the previous night as we drove past it coming home from the stake youth activity. It looked like a very huge fair with carnival rides that you would never in your right mind set foot in. I think that is what the carnival food and games are for, to make you feel so bad that being spun around, dropped from enormous heights or turned upside down actually looks appealing in comparison. But I digress.
What I didn't realize is that, here in Germany, the Volksfest is all those things, plus the second largest beer festival next to the one in Munich or München as real Germans say. This is more popularly called "Oktoberfest" and surprisingly it is actually in October!
Anyway, during this visit, we stayed away from the rockus beer tents and just wandered around, looking at everything from the large heart shaped gingerbread cookies to people in dirndls and lederhosen and trying to decide which carnival torture device we wanted to ride on. After traveling the vastness of the whole fair in the hot sun with whiny children, we got some brats and pommes (hotdogs and fries) and decided on two options: the ferris wheel and the fun house. Ultimately, we split up, with one group going to the fun house and one to the Ferris wheel. I got to go on the nice relaxing Ferris wheel :). Malia and Kaitlyn were of the same persuasion. It was a beautiful view from the top and the ride ended too quickly as did my friends' visit.
It was so much fun to have my friend come to visit. The Volksfest trip made the visit very memorable. I hope that we will see them again soon.




2 comments:
Hello to our National Geographic photojournalist! in this installment we learned about "Volksfest" and its array of tilt and puke rides. You caught some of the best photos of Malia and Kaitlyn. Nice smiles, pleasant demeanors. Maybe the trick is to get them on a ferris wheel.
Nice post Meg Pie. Thanks for sharing some of your adventures with us. It makes the distance feel smaller
Post a Comment