Thursday, September 23, 2010

The World's Only Corn Palace!

In Mitchell, South Dakota, stand the world's only Corn Palace. So named because it is decorated outside entirely by corn and corn husks, etc. The outside is changed every year and we arrived to see them in process of switching from 2010's to 2011's theme. The inside of the building smells, of course, like popcorn. Carmen thought it was fun to find the boxes of corn outside organized in there different colors ready to be used in this "corny" art (pardon all the puns.) It is worth the stop if you're ever passing through, if only just to look up, scratch your head and think, "Wow, that is weird."

The side of the Corn Palace in stars and stripes

2 comments:

Gramma Connelly said...

Amazing that Nebraska didn't think of this. Are the girls keeping journals? They are on an uber field trip!

kimiko said...

It looks like you had a very fun and eventful trip out west. I'd like to visit some of those places. I must admit, though, I don't envy the long drive! Hope everything goes well for you in Boise.