Our first day in Garmisch started early as we had to check in at the ski school for our lessons. The four girls and I have beginner lessons for five days. The little girls are skiing in the kinder class and Malia and I were together in the adult beginner class so I could help her. Bethany is in the beginning snowboarding class. Malia, however, wasn't happy with her ski boots and she rebelled a half hour into the lesson, sat on the snow, kicked off the boots and refused to participate anymore. She ended up spending the whole morning by herself in the American Lodge while I continued with the lesson.
I can only speak for myself but my first lesson was like boot camp on skis. My instructor had us trudging up a little slope without our poles in order to ensure we knew how to brake properly before taking us on even the tiniest lifts. It was exhausting and I'm pretty sure I was bruising my shins pressing so hard in the snowplow position.
During lunch, at the American Lodge, Malia decided that she wanted to try snowboarding as she felt that the snowboarding boots were more comfortable. So we rented her a pair of boots and put her on one of the smaller snowboards we had brought and went back up the mountain after lunch to see if she was actually going to like it. Everyone enjoyed themselves and I was able to teach some techniques I had learned in my class to Jessica and Kaitlyn. We switched Malia's ski classes to snowboarding classes for the rest of the week and went home completely exhausted.
![]() |
| Malia sitting morosely on the snow |
![]() |
| Kaitlyn and Jessi waiting for their lessons to begin. They started in the same class. |
![]() |
| Bethany, my cute snowboarder, waiting for her first lesson |
![]() |
| What I looked like after trudging up and down the bunny slope without ski poles all morning |
![]() |
| Going up the gondola after lunch. Malia going to try snowboarding. |
![]() |
| Three cuties chilling out in the snow |
![]() |
| Sunset on the slopes |
![]() |
| Bethany taking pictures of the brilliant light on the mountains coming down on the gondola |
![]() |
| Kaitlyn and Jessi enjoying the ride down |









1 comment:
Been looking forward to these pics. Think I'll view them in order. What a first day! Sorry Malia had troubles
Post a Comment