Halloween was a smaller event this year only in the fact that it fell on a Sunday and we are living in a town that wouldn't alter the date for the community to go trick or treating to the prior evening. (I have lived in other places that have done this.) So, in that light, the only candy collecting (or doling out) we joined in was at our church's Halloween activity. There was a dinner followed by "trunk or treating," where everyone decorates the trunks of their cars and distributes candy to the kids in the parking lot. It is highly efficient but not high grossing, candy wise. C'est la vie! Who needs so much candy?
It was a bigger event in terms of costumes. Jessi and Kaitlyn were both princesses. I lucked out and found their costumes at a thrift store. Bethany wanted to be a sorcerer cat but it morphed into being a bat the last minute after I made her a really cool cape and her cat ears just didn't jive with the witch hat thing. Malia made out like a bandit getting much more than a costume. She now has authentic cowgirl boots and an authentic cowgirl hat that she wears all the time. The chaps and vest that she wore for Halloween have a great history, having been worn for the first time by her dad a long, long time ago.
This is the first time in my life that I have made my own costume. And I'm not talking about taking a white sheet and calling myself a ghost or anything like that. I mean I got material and sewed a queen costume. I was over ambitious though and didn't have it done in time for the party. I have the consolation, however, of being able to pack this away for use next year, and the year after that, and the year after that....well, you get the idea....;)





1 comment:
Hard to pick our favorite costume. I think it's what we call in Hawaii a tie-tie.
Post a Comment